Back pain is one of the common medical problems in the United States.
Various factors, including muscle strains, ligament sprains, disk herniation, and arthritis, can cause it. Many people turn to chiropractors for help with back pain. Chiropractic is an alternative treatment that focuses on diagnosing and treating neuromusculoskeletal disorders.
For example, improper posture is one of the common causes of back pain. A chiropractor will help realign the spine, reduce muscle tension and relax tight joints causing pain.
Read more: Chiropractic Can Help You Achieve Proper Posture.
Let’s take a closer look at how chiropractors can help with back pain!
What Is Back Pain and Its Causes?
Back pain is a condition that affects many people each year. It can range from mild to severe and can be caused by poor posture or injury. Some types of back pain are chronic, meaning they last for months or even years.
These include sciatica, caused by nerves in the lower back being pinched or compressed. Other causes of chronic back pain include herniated discs, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and osteoarthritis.
Sciatica is a type of nerve pain that starts in the lower back and radiates down one or both legs. A herniated disc, spinal stenosis, or piriformis syndrome can cause it. Sciatica symptoms include tingling, numbness, and sharp shooting pains along the sciatic nerve path.
b) Herniated Discs:
A herniated disc is a condition where the discs between the vertebrae become damaged and bulge out of place. This can cause pinched nerves and lead to chronic back pain, numbness, and tingling in the legs.
c) Spinal Stenosis:
Spinal stenosis is a condition where the spinal cord and nerve roots become constricted due to the narrowing of the spine, leading to chronic pain.
d) Degenerative Disc Disease:
Degenerative disc disease is a medical condition where the discs between vertebrae deteriorate over time, leading to reduced shock absorption and chronic back pain.
is a degenerative condition that affects the joints and can lead to chronic back pain.
Treatment Methods Used By a Chiropractor
Many people wonder if a chiropractor can help when it comes to alleviating back pain. The simple answer is yes—chiropractors are well-equipped to treat and manage back pain using several different methods.
1) Spinal adjustments. By adjusting the spine, a chiropractor can reduce tension, realign vertebrae to their proper position, and relieve nerve pressure.
2) Therapeutic exercises. Stretching and strengthening exercises can help support your spine for better lumbar health.
3) Massage or other soft tissue treatments. Massage therapy can help release tension and reduce pain. This involves manual or hands-on techniques to relax muscle spasms and increase circulation.
4) Disc decompression. This traction helps open the spinal discs, creating space for herniated or bulging discs to move back into place.
5) Lifestyle advice. A chiropractor may suggest lifestyle changes such as diet, exercise, and ergonomic modifications to your workspace or home environment to reduce pain and improve overall health.
Chiropractic care is a safe and effective manner of managing back pain. The right combination of treatments can provide long-term relief and improved quality of life. For chiropractic treatment Colorado Springs, contact Radix Chiropractic. We specialize in natural and holistic treatments like chiropractic care to heal our patients.